With spring finally on the horizon, we are all itching to get outdoors, open the windows and maybe put the top down on your ride. Plus, it’s the season for spring cleaning. If you started the new year with Marie Kondo and her life-changing magic, you may have gotten a head start on cleaning our spaces. But, have you tidied up your jewelry box yet?
Spring is the perfect time to do so. So, here are our top tips for bringing spring cleaning magic to your jewelry box. You’ll find what sparks joy and you’ll find joy in the sparkle.
1. As you transition your wardrobe from winter to spring, you probably need to transition your jewelry wardrobe as well. Your deep colored jewels (think rubies and emeralds) that brought richness to your holiday outfits make way for beautiful turquoise, aquamarine and citrine pieces that put you in mind of the ocean, sky and sun and bring pop to your spring wardrobe.
2. Rearrange your jewelry box so that pieces that will get more wear in the warmer months are in a spot with easier access. This is also a great time to make sure your jewelry is stored properly. Use pouches to separate pieces so they don’t scratch one another. Make sure chains are not tangled. Use anti-tarnish strips or bags to protect your sterling silver. If you take a few minutes to organize things now, you’ll be able to find what you need and protect your treasured jewelry from damage.
3. Does any of your jewelry fail to spark joy? You may actually want to consider paring down your jewelry wardrobe. As Marie Kondo has taught so many of us, you can let go of items that no longer bring you joy, offering them gratitude for what they have meant in your life. Consider donating fashion pieces (maybe a local theatre would like them for costuming purposes). Remember too, you can let go of fine jewelry too. You may want to sell your fine jewelry, or some jewelers will allow you to trade it for credit toward a new purchase. If the piece has sentimental value, consider repurposing. Gemstones can be reset into a new piece that you will love to wear, but which still offers you an emotional connection to your past.
4. Don’t forget to freshen up your spring baubles. You want your favorite jewelry to sparkle in the thank-God-it’s-finally-here sunshine. Whether they are pieces that were in winter hibernation or ones you wear daily, spring cleaning is the perfect time to spiff things up. Diamond, topaz, peridot, gold and platinum jewelry should be soaked in a professional fine jewelry cleaning formula and buffed with a professional polishing cloth. Pearl, turquoise, aquamarine, coral and opal jewelry needs to be cleaned using a professional gentle jewelry cleaning formulation. Give the piece a quick soak and buff it with a polishing cloth. Your bling will sing.
5. Once you have attacked your spring cleaning with gusto, you definitely deserve a getaway. If you are heading out for some fun in the sun, don’t forget to pack a jewelry cleaning stick or wipes to keep those pieces you just pulled from the depths of your jewelry box sparkling on the go.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.